A sixteen-year-old in Malaysia died of electrocution last week from the headphones he was wearing while listening to music. Reports from local news tell that the phone was plugged in and charging when the shock occurred; sixteen-year-old Mohd Aidi Azzhar Zahrin was found motionless on the floor, blood pouring from his ear.
An autopsy confirmed the cause of death, after determining there was no external injuries or other signs of foul plays, aside from burns to his ear. According to Zahrin’s brother, who touched the charging cable after finding his brother and receiving a small shock, the cable was probably faulty.
The make and model of the phone and headphones weren’t disclosed in the initial report.
In fact, this isn’t even the first headphone-related death in 2018. According to VICE, a “17-year-old student Luiza Pinheiro was similarly found dead on the floor of her home in Riacho Frio, Brazil after a ‘huge electric charge’ surged through her phone and the headphones melted in her ears[.]”
A 46-year-old woman in the Indian village of Kanathur, a 22-year-old man in the Indian village of Pandyo, as well as a 28-year-old Australian woman have been killed this year from faulty headphones or electric surges.
In the case of the Australian woman, the charger was found to be non-compliant with Australian standards and at fault in her death.
As for the Malaysian boy who died last week, an investigation is ongoing.
This article was first published on Your EDM. Source: 16-Year-Old Dies After Being Electrocuted By His Headphones